Skip to content
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes / cut in half
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- olive oil
- fresh ground pepper & pink salt
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 cups water / chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan or queso fresco
- Roast tomatoes. Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. place halved tomatoes and garlic on sheet.
- Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Caramelize onions. While tomatoes bake, add olive oil or butter to medium pan. place sliced onion in pan and cook on medium heat till golden in color.
- Remove tomatoes and onion from heat. let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add to blender or food processor along with basil. blend till smooth
- After blending, add liquid to pot on medium heat. Along with chicken broth, heavy cream, oregano and salt/pepper to taste.
- Once cooled, add cheese and enjoy !